Skip to main content

Sheffield MSc Data Science – Industry Event

More than 60 students on the MSc Data Science programme attended the annual Industry Day on Monday 28th November.

The event invites speakers from various sectors in industry to share their experiences with utilising machine learning, AI and data science for applications within their domain. 


Dr Lisa Clark, Head of Data Science from Atos, gave the talk "Variety is the spice of Data Science", covering a wide range of projects with government agencies and businesses. 


Dr Cass Zhao, University of Sheffield, Department of Computer Science, talked about her PhD experience and how it helped her career as a data scientist and machine learning modeller. Joanna Hemingway, Team Lead of Data Visualisation and André Locher Data Engineering & Analytics Manager, gave a talk on how data science methods are used by Jet2 & Jet2holidays.  Dr Aidan Peppin, Senior Researcher from Ada Lovelace Institute, gave the talk "Careers in social research and public policy", covering a unique perspective of the data science career. 


A networking lunch was followed by a panel discussion and question and answer session at the end of the event. Subjects discussed ranged from the importance of learning from failures to key job interview questions.


Aidan Peppin, Dr Lisa Clark, Joanna Hemingway and André Locher took part in the panel discussion which was chaired by Dr Ziqi Zhang, Senior Lecturer and Programme Coordinator of the MSc in Data Science.



Pictured left to right are Dr Lisa Clark, Aidan Peppin, Joanna Hemingway, André Locher and Dr Ziqi Zhang

The panel are pictured during the discussion (left to right) Aidan Peppin, Dr Lisa Clark, André Locher and Joanna Hemingway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr Kate Miltner joins UK Young Academy

We are pleased to announce that Dr Kate Miltner has joined the UK Young Academy, an interdisciplinary network of early-career professionals and researchers working together to tackle pressing global and local challenges and promote lasting change. Dr Miltner is among the 42 emerging leaders from across the UK selected as the newest members of the UK Young Academy. The new members come from a wide range of sectors, with backgrounds in political science, engineering, government, communications and the creative and performing industries, and more. As members of the UK Young Academy, they will have the opportunity to take action on both local and global issues. Through interdisciplinary projects and working across sectors, they will bridge gaps, drive innovation, and develop the solutions needed to address critical challenges – all while advancing their professional development and contributing to a global network of Young Academies focused on achieving positive outcomes. "I'm tru...

My Time in Sheffield as a Visiting Researcher - Dr Abdulhalik Pinar

Returning to Sheffield after more than a decade has been a mixture of nostalgia and new opportunities. I first came here in 2011 to complete my MA in Librarianship, and now, I find myself back as a visiting scholar at the Information School. My time as a visiting researcher at the University of Sheffield has been truly rewarding. I am an academic staff at Harran University in Turkey supported for this visit by Tubitak (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey). This visit has been a great opportunity for my academic and professional development. I am conducting research on artificial intelligence within GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums) institutions. I have especially valued the support of my supervisor Dr. Andrew Cox who has guided me through this process. He is an extremely helpful, supportive and understanding person. The University of Sheffield has provided me with an excellent working environment, surrounded by helpful staff and dynamic research...

Will AI replace librarians? LILAC 2024 student blog

A month ago I had the amazing opportunity to attend LILAC 2024 at Leeds Beckett University through a bursary funded by the Information School.  This was my first ever conference, and I was unsure what to expect. I was very excited, quite nervous, and felt a little over my head as a distance learning student who has only been working as a health librarian for just over a year.  But those nerves were definitely unfounded! I had an amazing time and gained so much from listening to and speaking with librarians that boast years of experience across multiple sectors. As expected of a room full of passionate librarians and information researchers, everyone was so friendly and approachable, and any apprehension I had quickly dissolved after the first hour. LILAC emblematised the power of the librarian community. I felt assured in my quest to become a qualified librarian after experiencing how everyone at the conference was so willing to share their experiences and best practic...