· Billy Blythe, Head of Data Science, Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)
· Leanne Fitzpatrick, Head of Data, Hello Soda
· Lauren Rodgers, Data Scientist, and Tom Liptrot, Head of Data Science, Peak.ai
· Lisa Clark, Data Scientist, Virgin Media Business (VMB)
· Ben Chamberlain, Head of Machine Learning, AOS.com
· Hayden Sansum, Senior Data Scientist, Ministry of Justice (MoJ)
Speakers discussed various topics such as the challenges, benefits and technologies involved in utilising data-driven analytical methods; current technological trends; and what role data scientists play within their organisations. Many examples were provided including analysing the behaviours of customers in debt (VMB), targeted delivery of services (DWP), supply chain optimisation (ASOS) and transformations in the criminal and justice system (MoJ). Particularly pleasing to hear from was Lauren Rodgers, a former student on the MSc Data Science programme who now works as Data Scientist for Peak.ai and shared her experiences of working life post-MSc course.
Support for the event was provided by the Information School and Peak Indicators.
Professor Paul Clough
MSc Data Science student ambassador Na Li had this to say about her experience on the day:
'The Industry event helped us to better understand data science applications and its importance in real industry. Also, by interacting with speakers from industry, we better understood the role which data scientists play in the workplace as well as the skills industry requires from data scientists. All these are important for us to better prepare for job applications after graduation.'
Speakers at the industry day event (top to bottom): Billy Blythe, Leanne Fitzpatrick, Lauren Rodgers and Tom Liptrot, Lisa Clark, Ben Chamberlain, Hayden Sansum