Skip to main content

Rachel Adams and Sheila Corrall at SLA Europe Dissertation Awards

On Saturday, 19th May, Prof Sheila Corrall travelled to London to celebrate the SLA Europe Dissertation Awards at a special teatime event at The Lanesborough hotel, along with former MA Librarianship student, Rachel Adams, who received the award for her investigation into Information Literacy and the provision of information skills training in the government sector (which was supervised by Sheila Webber).

Saturday’s event was attended by SLA Europe Board Members, Barbara Robinson (Awards Organiser), Rachel Kolsky (SLA Europe President) and Sylvia James (SLA Europe and SLA Main Board Treasurer), along with students and staff from Brighton, London Metropolitan and Loughborough Universities. Rachel Kolsky had previously visited Sheffield to present Rachel Adams with her certificate at the Department’s Graduation Reception in December 2006.

The SLA Europe Dissertation Awards were established in 2006, following a round table discussion with Sheila Corrall and other LIS academics, as part of SLA Europe’s commitment to working with LIS students and faculty. Further details of SLA Europe student awards can be found at http://www.sla-europe.org/students/students.html.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr Kate Miltner joins UK Young Academy

We are pleased to announce that Dr Kate Miltner has joined the UK Young Academy, an interdisciplinary network of early-career professionals and researchers working together to tackle pressing global and local challenges and promote lasting change. Dr Miltner is among the 42 emerging leaders from across the UK selected as the newest members of the UK Young Academy. The new members come from a wide range of sectors, with backgrounds in political science, engineering, government, communications and the creative and performing industries, and more. As members of the UK Young Academy, they will have the opportunity to take action on both local and global issues. Through interdisciplinary projects and working across sectors, they will bridge gaps, drive innovation, and develop the solutions needed to address critical challenges – all while advancing their professional development and contributing to a global network of Young Academies focused on achieving positive outcomes. "I'm tru...

My Time in Sheffield as a Visiting Researcher - Dr Abdulhalik Pinar

Returning to Sheffield after more than a decade has been a mixture of nostalgia and new opportunities. I first came here in 2011 to complete my MA in Librarianship, and now, I find myself back as a visiting scholar at the Information School. My time as a visiting researcher at the University of Sheffield has been truly rewarding. I am an academic staff at Harran University in Turkey supported for this visit by Tubitak (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey). This visit has been a great opportunity for my academic and professional development. I am conducting research on artificial intelligence within GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums) institutions. I have especially valued the support of my supervisor Dr. Andrew Cox who has guided me through this process. He is an extremely helpful, supportive and understanding person. The University of Sheffield has provided me with an excellent working environment, surrounded by helpful staff and dynamic research...

Will AI replace librarians? LILAC 2024 student blog

A month ago I had the amazing opportunity to attend LILAC 2024 at Leeds Beckett University through a bursary funded by the Information School.  This was my first ever conference, and I was unsure what to expect. I was very excited, quite nervous, and felt a little over my head as a distance learning student who has only been working as a health librarian for just over a year.  But those nerves were definitely unfounded! I had an amazing time and gained so much from listening to and speaking with librarians that boast years of experience across multiple sectors. As expected of a room full of passionate librarians and information researchers, everyone was so friendly and approachable, and any apprehension I had quickly dissolved after the first hour. LILAC emblematised the power of the librarian community. I felt assured in my quest to become a qualified librarian after experiencing how everyone at the conference was so willing to share their experiences and best practic...