Skip to main content

Student blog: UKRI Policy Internship

PhD student Ian Widdows shares his experiences of his internship with UKRI, engaging with the government on policy-making.

Like all researchers, I want my research to make a difference. 

When I first considered the possibility of writing a research proposal for a PhD, I was powerfully motivated by a desire to make things better. 

My research is into secondary school performance measures in England - their effectiveness, effects and an exploration of alternative approaches. In part this comes from having spent 28 years working in secondary schools. During that time I formed some strong opinions about the way that schools are judged. I feel that things really need to change and I want my research to contribute to the debate. 

Over the years, I have made many contacts already working in this field, including academics, data scientists, school and school trust leaders, consultants and senior representatives of teaching unions. I have been part of numerous working parties looking at and advising on different aspects of education. What I was missing, however, was some direct experience of the ‘policy space’, the environment in which researchers, advisors, civil servants, politicians and ministers come together to develop, shape, review and refine policy decisions.

When an email dropped into my inbox titled “Opportunity for PhD students to engage with Parliament” my attention was piqued. This outlined an annual scheme, funded by UKRI, to provide a three-month internship opportunity for doctoral students to gain training and experience in how research can inform policy-making. I saw that there was a wide range of positions available, working in many different government departments. I was particularly interested in the position within the Department for Education’s Behavioural Insights Unit (BIU), part of its Strategy Unit. The BIU provides dedicated behavioural science expertise with the aim of supporting the department to use behavioural insights to tackle policy challenges. They use findings of both quantitative and qualitative research to write policy briefings and make presentations to policymakers. It sounded perfect!

I initially sought advice from my supervisors. This was important as the application process requires applicants to have the support of their university. I then went about the application process. These positions are highly competitive and the application process is very thorough. The first stage included a detailed application form, explaining my suitability for one of the roles and how it would contribute to and inform my research. It also involved writing a policy briefing, on a subject of my choice, in the form of a POSTNote, a four-page briefing report that reviews emerging areas of research. I was really keen to make sure that what I produced looked and felt like a POSTNote and so as well as spending some time reading examples, I also looked at replicating the design (including typeface, font size and colour scheme!!). I was successful at getting past this first stage and was then invited to interview. In addition to standard interview style questions, this involved making two 5-minute presentations (one pre-prepared and one provided as an interview task) on two different, and quite complex subjects. This perhaps gave me a taste of the work which might be involved in working in a government strategy unit – working at pace on complex issues and being incredibly concise, distilling the pertinent points down to a presentation lasting just a few minutes. The interview lasted an hour and a half and, while it was quite challenging, it was also enjoyable. I was absolutely delighted when I was informed that I had been successful.

So, from the start of April, I begin my internship. And I can’t wait! I have gained approval to work on it part-time, dedicating three days a week, for five months, to my internship, leaving the remaining two days each week to work on my PhD. I feel that this way I can actively use the learning from my placement to inform my research.

I have read many very positive endorsements of the scheme from previous students. It sounds like it will be a very useful experience. Indeed, two members of the team I will be working with have been through the process themselves. I intend to keep a diary and I hope to be able to share my experiences here when it is complete later this year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Pi Weather Project now live

A project to create a raspberry pi weather station is currently live in the Information School.  The Sheffield Pi weather station has been created by Romilly Close, undergraduate Aerospace Engineering student at the University of Sheffield.  The project was funded by the Sheffield Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) scheme and is being supervised by Dr Jo Bates, Paula Goodale and Fred Sonnenwald from the Information School. Information about the Sheffield Pi station and how to create your own can be found on the project website .  You can also see live data from the Sheffield Pi station on Plot.ly , and further information can also be found on the Met Office Weather Observations Website .    This work compliments the School’s existing project entitled ‘The Secret Life of a Weather Datum’ which explores socio-cultural influences on weather data.  This project is funded under the AHRC’s Digital Transformations Big Data call.  It aims to pilot a new approach to im

Our Chemoinformatics Group wins Jason Farradane Award

The Information School's Chemoinformatics Research Group has been awarded the 2012 UKeiG Jason Farradane Award , in recognition of its outstanding 40 year contribution to the information field. The prize is awarded to the three current members of the group,  Professor Val Gillet , Dr John Holliday and Professor Peter Willett . The judges recognised the Group's status as one of the world's leading centres of chemoinformatics research, a major contributor to the field of information science, and an exemplar in raising the profile of the information profession. The School has a long association with the Farradane prize. Its second recipient was long time member of staff Professor Mike Lynch in 1980.

Professor Mike Thelwall gives inaugural lecture

Professor of Data Science Mike Thelwall recently gave his inaugural lecture at the University of Sheffield, entitled  How helpful are AI and bibliometrics for assessing the quality of academic research? The lecture, delivered in the University's Diamond building, was introduced by Head of the Information School Professor Briony Birdi. It covered Mike's research into whether Artificial Intelligence can inform - or replace - expert peer review in the journal article publication process and what this could look like, as well as to what extent bibliometrics and citation statistics can play a role in assessing the quality of a piece of research. Mike also discussed whether tools like ChatGPT can accurately detect research quality. The inaugural lecture was well attended by colleagues from around the University.